Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 13, 2021

Stories from the Brink


In my book, HANDI-CRAPPED I wrote a sometimes satirical, sometimes funny look at the United States healthcare system, in a fictional account, based upon a true story.  The farther I get away from this completed work, the more I am haunted by the fact that this may be a similar story for many of my friends in the disabled community.  

In the book I tried to make light of the doctors that are a combination of doctors that I've known and been a patient of.  Doctors Cutlery, Egotism and Dr. Reaper performed work at Scalpel Depot, assisted  by Nurses Angelica, Sureshot and Smilesalot.  I think I captured a microcosm of our healthcare system in a satirical, fictional way.  Unfortunately, after connecting with so many others on social media, it appears that this story may not be so isolated as depicted in this book.     

Per PolicyAdvice, there are 784,626 companies related to the healthcare industry.  Now I'm sure that all of these organizations were formed for altruistic reasons, but since our healthcare expenditures (per CDC 2018) are 3.6 trillion and represent 17.7% of our GDP, I'll reserve judgement.  The point is, any industry that is this huge, will have a percentage of profiteers that will provide a less than stellar level of care for me and my disabled friends.  

So I'd like to hear about such experiences from people who think that their level of care was crap or "CRAPPED" during their healthcare crisis.  Also, please include any funny stories that may be clean enough to print.  Please drop your comments here.  Thanks and as always>Insensitive Bastard




            


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

SCOTUS Delivers Big Win in November!

Well, they sure snatched a loss from the jaws of victory.  Thank you, SCOTUS, the democratic national committee could not have done it bette...